Monday, March 24, 2008

Les Amis

I had the pleasure of another fine dining experience with friends Jack, Anne, and Kathleen. It had been too long since I have had the opportunity to spend an evening telling stories and catching up with these dear people. Jack and Anne were in town to procure a wedding cake for their upcoming blessed event this September.

On this particular occasion we found ourselves at Les Amis. One of the first pictures you will see on the website is a corner table and that is where we sat. The service was kind and informative. Dinner began with some raw salmon topped with sturgeon caviar. If you know me, you are wondering if I actually ate this little starting morsel. I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty pop of the caviar blending into the flesh, although I think the sashimi I had in Hawaii at the sports bar was much better. I selected a simple appetizer of a cauliflower soup also topped with the same caviar. I have a tendency to really like the soups I try at fine dining restaurants (and I miss the white truffle soup at bar tartine). The main entree was a N.Y. Strip steak. The portion size was excellent, yet it wasn't that tender which was disappointing (it made me really long for the American Kobe "Bavette" Steak at Bix). Dessert was average. However, the time was well spent and we accomplished our goal of hanging out and spending quality time together. I would still recommend the restaurant... I think my meal was only average because I was eating meat on Good Friday.... I needed to be punished.

1 comment:

brekkie_fan said...

Excellent review Derek! Can we say foodie?