Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Paddy's Day

Another peculiar holiday this month. Okay, maybe i'm the only that cares about Grammar Day and I know Pi day is at least acknowledged on Weekend Update during the last Saturday Night Live. I love the idea of celebrating a day for the Irish. Yet, no one ever believes that I'm an eighth Irish. I know it doesn't show, but people look at me like I'm a frickin' liar.

My great-great-grandfather immigrated from Ireland and eventually settled in Tennessee. His son joined the army and was stationed in the Philippines where he found his wife. Unfortunately, my great-grandfather was killed in an accident when he was cleaning the steampipes of a ship. I still have some links to that side of my family but those connections have been fading since my grandfather passed away in 1983.

See, you just can't make that stuff up. And I'm part Norwegian too! C'mon, where do you think this height came from. Here's some visual evidence. My grandfather is half-white, half-Filipino. If you look carefully, you'll notice that I have the same hairline. And if you look even more carefully at one of the teacher lip sync videos you'll see a patch of hair thinning on the back of my head. Hmmm... I think I need a cuter baby picture of me...






Here's a family picture of the Irish side...

No comments: