Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ides of April

So today should be all doom and gloom... taxes are due... almost sounds like the Ides of March...
and it start off great... the Giants did recognize the actual 50th anniversary of the first major league baseball game on the West Coast... but unlike that game in which the Giants beat the Dodgers 8-0 against Don Drysdale... they lost today; however, John Bowker, recent call up, in only his third game in the majors, just missed his third homer, but did get his first triple. He is fast becoming a cult hero for this season.



Now, how do I chase these blues away? With two of my favorite films coming out on DVD today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the 2 disc version of the movie, particularly so that I can get the digital copy of the film on the second disc and add it to my ipod. I also purchased it at Target (Tanforan) in order to get the exclusive script book that came with this edition.

Part of the charm of this film is Diablo Cody's quirky dialogue. Yet, I think the casting is excellent, especially Juno's parents with their idiosyncrasies. I love when Alison Janney rips back at the medical tech and tells her where she can go.

OH! what the heck... here's are some cool lines















Now for the second film in this double feature

I love dark twisted comedies and this is one of them. I read plenty of reviews and many of the critics and cinephiles definitely do not appreciate this film as much as I do.

Although the premise forces the audience to suspend their disbelief, once you follow the Ryan Gosling character deal with his own personal issues through communicating with a "real girl," I couldn't help but feel for the guy. Maybe I relate to the sense of isolation or loneliness he goes through, but I think the true comedy of the film is in how the rest of the town supports his mania. And the real girl "Bianca" becomes more active and real than he ever could be.

Here is a little vid to give you a taste of what I mean...






But the day is not yet over, for there is more to celebrate...

As I was grading, I watched game 4 of the San Jose Sharks vs. the Calgary Flames playoff match up. I admit to being frustrated after hearing about last night's Warriors debacle causing them to miss the playoffs. Calgary scored a goal right before the end of the second period to take some momentum going into the intermission.

The 3rd period was just a great battle of wills. The Sharks seemed to be exerting theirs but could never come up with a goal. With about 5 minutes remaining, Jonathan Cheechoo shoots one into the upper corner from the opposite side of the ice. I can't believe he was able to squeeze the shot into such a small window of opportunity.

The game seemed destined for overtime as the Sharks couldn't get another one into the net because of the ex-shark in goal. Then a shot akin to a hail mary pass in football from a fair distance away by Murray and slight deflection from Thornton just sneaks inside the left pipe to win the game. The thrill of victory and agony of defeat! and I succumb to both on the same day.

On an odd note... I caught a bit of American Idol when I switched there during the Sharks intermissions. I love the fact that Syesha sang my favorite Mariah Carey song "Vanishing," who cares that Simon thought she did herself a disservice by picking a relatively unknown Mariah song. I loved it. I just may have to watch more of this season. Wait... real TV is coming back... so probably not... until the finals...

And the best news of all... MANNY BELLO is back. He is one of the old Spasm gang collaborators from the days when we were young and thought we would succeed at self-publishing. And let me make this clear, we could have if we all wanted that to be our main goal and had more capital. He sent me an email today that his project Dugout is about to be released this summer. And yes, he is a big Giants fan, hence the baseball related project. Woo Hoo!

I truly need to create something for this talented man to visualize.
I love how he said he can't wait for my volume of "subversive verse."

No comments: