Monday, April 07, 2008

Bon Jovi

Last Wednesday, I took a much needed mental health night when I attended the Bon Jovi concert in San Jose with Lance and Macho. We met up with MA when we got to the HP Pavilion.

I find it out that BJ is one of those bands I had yet to see live. I've had some memorable shows, which includes bringing my sister to her first concert to see Motley Crue--truly an experience she'll never forget. I think my favorite quote of that night was "What's that smell?" So why had I never made it out to a BJ concert? not sure. But that has now been rectified.

So the three of us cruised on down to San Jose after a quick stop at 7-11 to pick up slurpees & other assorted goodies. It was cool to just reminisce about life in the 80s on the travel down. Daughtry proved to be a good opening act. He even added a prelude to his song "Home" by opening with the first notes and verse of Crue's "Home Sweet Home," which of course thrilled me since I believe that's one of my personal theme songs.

Bon Jovi played two hours opening with the title track of the new cd. Quickly though, the third song was "You Give Love a Bad Name" and the 18,000 people were out of their seats. However, the favorite performance of the night when we talked about the show afterwards was "Blaze of Glory." The big screen gives a tight close up shot of Jon on guitar, while the second big screen showed majestic footage of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. Bon Jovi launches into the first verse and the stage fades to black for a moment and the second verse is being sung by Daughtry. Much cooler than I expected.



The rest of the night just rocked out. I bought my program as I do for almost every concert I've been to. However, I didn't know the night had just begun when we left San Jose. On the drive back on 101 after passing 92, traffic signs and cones began littering the freeway. The cones pushed all five lanes into the right lane and eventually off the freeway into the Anza exit detour. We then had to proceed onto Airport Blvd. The time from after 92 (and couldn't they have warned us before 92 so I could've gone home on 280) until I got back to 380 was nearly 45 minutes--a drive that should be no more than 10 minutes.

Well, thankfully, Macho and I made the most of it and plugged in the ipods and rocked all the way home. Although, the first song he played was the theme from Baywatch. We jammed to Survivor, Def Leppard, and, perhaps the funniest moment, Journey. We were stuck on Airport Blvd next to this semi trying to squeeze in front of us as the lanes were merging. The driver looks down on us and were shouting out the lyrics to "Don't Stop Believin'" or "Lights" not quite sure which one, but he had a seriously funny look on his face.

The drive took almost twice as long as it should have, but the company was excellent and it felt like a college road trip. I can't wait 'til our next concert.

No comments: