Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Philippines, Part 1 (the psychoverse emails)

Here are copies of the 3 emails I sent out about the vacation so far... they are somewhat edited, but most of it is there... the remaining funeral blog is still in progress... 3 pages and counting already

September 21, 2007

hello Everybody!

here's a quick psychoverse update newsletter

Unfortunately, I will make this short and not so typical of my long-winded self...

it's saturday here in the Philippines and what I've thinking about is missing the last Friday night game in 138, especially because I opened up my email and saw a letter from the giants saying that Barry won't be back next season...

The last four days have been up and down. I forget how quickly I can lose all sense of time and place. I left the U.S. Tuesday night and arrived at my parents' home in Calasiao on Thursday 1:30pm. so strange that Wednesday just disappears. 17 straight hours of traveling can really get to someone. The plane ride was the smoothest I ever experienced in my 4 trips here... thankfully... the air-conditioned bus from Manila to Calasiao really helped.

The toughest part was arriving to the house and seeing the memorial and coffin set up for grandma. We were all immediately drawn to the casket and there she was all full of make-up looking happy beneath a glass pane. Very surreal. The stillness and tears lasted a long while as everyone just tried to soak in the magnitude of why we were all here. I arrived with my sister and 10 other relatives. By Friday, all my grandmother's living children arrived and everyone acted the exact same way once they saw grandma.

The rosary began at 3pm. The elder women of the town came to lead it and there was something mysterious in hearing the prayers in the local dialect, Pangasinan. They sounded chant-like and further added to the surreality of the moment. By nightfall, guests came to pay respects. Oddly, at least to me, a band came and set up and played their music. One of the singers happened to be a young woman, who many of the neighborhood guys thoroughly enjoyed. But, I have to adjust to the customs.

I continued to meet people all night. Most of my family went to eat at a restaurant while I stayed behind with Auntie Shirley and played hosts. However, the exhaustion finally overcame me and in the middle of conversation with newly-met relatives, I fell asleep. Keep in mind that I really didn't sleep before coming here because I had to plan out two weeks of lessons and shop for all the things my family needed for the balikbayan boxes.

Friday morning continued to be strange. All mornings seem to be a stark contrast from what the afternoons and evenings will entail. I ended up seeing most of my family at the local spa. Cousins and aunts were getting massages (I got one this morning), while my father and I received a foot spa. The attendant's face looked surprised seeing a size 15 foot. I never imagined setting next to my dad getting a manicure and pedicure. Sheena took a picture for all of you to see.


Yet, 3pm the ritual begins again. Except for this time... my dad was there with all his brothers and sisters. I can't even think the last time we were all together. I stayed awake a little longer. I still have no appetite. I've met principals trying to recruit me to come here or at least consider being one back home. The first question everyone I just meet asks is "Why are you still single?" I feel like everyone is going to bring their single lady friends the next few nights. Scary but funny at the same time.

It's 1pm and I need lunch. I hope all of you are doing fine and I will write again probably after the funeral on Wednesday. Take care and I miss you all!

Derek

September 23, 2007

Once again I've managed to find my way to an internet cafe while my mother & sister are getting their hair done for the funeral.

I have to say that a lot has changed in the past 7 years since I've been here. The once little town I first visited in 1994 is no longer little. The traffic is worse; the shopping and spas are better. Plus, I can go online.

Matters seemed more peaceful at my uncle william's birthday dinner celebration, when the 30 of us all took over a restaurant and ate way too much food. My appetite is starting to return. My sugar level has been low for the most part.

Hey Lance, I attended Alma's two kids birthday celebration at the old Max's restaurant. her kids are cute. Elizabeth's family came to one of the novena nights but she didn't come with them. I wonder what we'll say to each other when we see each other again.

Well, I gotta go to the daily rosary. I will likely be back online after the funeral on wednesday.

I saw the 49ers score. Were they destroyed?

By the way, the rainstorms have made the weather tolerable for me, you know i can't handle heat if you've ever been in my classroom.

Take care!

Derek

September 29, 2007

well everybody! it's sunday morning where i'm at and you should all be getting ready to go out on a saturday night...

the last few days have been calming down since the funeral. most of the family has returned to plan the 40 day memorial at the end of october, while sheena and I are getting some quality time with our parents. sheena hasn't had the best trip here so far; she's getting her hair redone as i type. well, let me back-up to Monday...

Monday night was the first serene night of the novena. Every night previous, a band or two set up in the carport to entertain all the people. Monday differed because the family requested a quiet night of reflections and Christian services as opposed to the traditional customs of partying every night. Another difficulty of my family's experiences involved half of us being deathly ill. Sheena and Christine and Auntie Shirley never ventured out of their bedrooms for fear of passing out. People were going on pharmacy runs hoping there would be enough antibiotics to treat everyone. Most of the pharmacies had a couple of tablets and so people had to buy medicine at several locations. I think my father started the epidemic; the Thursday prior, he fell ill largely due to the fact he hadn't slept in getting all the funeral arrangements prepared. One by one... Mom, Sheena, Auntie Brenda, Aunti Shirley, Christine, Auntie Virgie, all of Uncle Carlos' 3 little ones (and they had it the worst). I've been fighting it and am refusing to give in, but the sickness has won its share of bouts...

A couple of peculiar things happened either Sunday or Monday evening (but I think it was Monday). My sister and mom were sleeping in the outer room with their fevers. My dad was in his bedroom sleeping... until the middle of the night when he heard my grandmother crying in his bathroom... he clearly recognized her tone and voice.... he immediately went to sleep outside... he should have at least said Hi to his mother...

Also, while people were talking around the sitting area in front of the casket, my father and ninong sedring saw a huge black butterfly (about a 5 inch wingspan). According to custom, the butterfly was my grandmother's spirit visiting... My grandfather also had an experience in the middle of the night when he felt grandma shake him several times and put her hands on his chest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is your Anonymous Auntie Shirl. And I'm STILL SICK but too busy reading your psychoverse to think about dying. Of course, I think about my own Mom's recent passing. I'm left wondering why she's gone while Dad's still very much alive. Yup, someone definitely sold his soul to the devil... Anyway, I just wanted to say how glad I am that one of us has the emotional energy to chronicle recent family events in the Philippines. Now on to Part 2.