Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Interlude: the final softball blog of the season

One of the reasons I couldn't wait to come back from the Philippines was to rejoin my staff softball team--TEAM WHAT?


Tonight, in just our second season, we made it to our first playoff game. We were huge underdogs, due in large part to never having beaten the team we had to play... and usually being beaten badly. But TEAM WHAT? could not be deterred. We went out there and battled and the score remained close for the first four innings... going from 4-2 after 2 innings; 6-2 after 4 innings... and this was while I was trying to shake off the rust from not having pitched in a few weeks.


Alas, they had a huge rally against us in the 5th (it might have been the 4th) and scored 7 runs. Suddenly, they had 13 and we had to scrap back. We refused to go down and were able to come back... initiated by the first of Shane's two triples (who knows, they might have been home runs if his shorts would only stay around his waist). I think our ensuing laughter relaxed us enough and we started to bang the ball. In an earlier inning I came up with two out and hit a low pitch right at an infielder to kill a potential rally. There would be no repeat of that incident. This time I got a base hit with the bases loaded scoring two runs... somehow I got the ball to go beyond the second baseman (I swear I never hit the ball to the right of second base, maybe I'll start being able to learn to hit opposite field by the time the spring seasons starts).


The final score was 16-8. We were not mercy ruled this time and that felt tremendous. I truly believed we had a shot at beating them until they knocked a couple of home runs beyond our outfielders' reach. I need to remember not to make too many fat pitches to them next time.



But, most importantly, I love the camraderie our team possessed. We had fun, laughed at each other, and enjoyed our bonding outside of work. Softball has been one of the only bright spots of a very difficult year for me, so I am so thankful that most of us were able to hang out at Red Robin after the game and enjoy each other's company for a bit longer before we all had to say goodbye for the season. Unfortunately, not everyone made the picture we took after the game because they had to leave right away and Tony had a meeting for work. But here are the grinning faces I've grown to love...

I can't wait for the spring season... plus it'll be a new year and a chance at a fresh start...
Many of us improved so much since our first spring game. We went from a 1-7 record and last place in the spring to a 5-3 record and third place in our second go-around. As long as we continue to play together, we definitely can achieve the playoffs again. Thanks to all the fans who showed up to the game, even though some of you students had to be enticed with just a few extra credit points. To the family and friends and co-workers in the stands, thanks so much for supporting us through the early bumps of the spring season and the incremental steps of improvement that has assuaged the first season bruise, for many of you were the healing salve for those bruised egos, pulled hamstrings/quads, and bearers of whatever medication we needed to be able to get back onto the field again. To my teammates... so that bowling league or broom ball sounds fun... I can't wait to fall on the ice and look like an elephant seal that got its ass kicked. It has been an honor to play with you all... and maybe some of you might want to consider subbing on some of the other softball teams on which I myself sub.

I hope you enjoyed the interlude. I'm sure you needed a break from all this funeral talk. I'll be depressed soon enough and still in the throes of jet lag to finish off the Philippines blog... probably by weekend's end.

No comments: