Friday, March 12, 2010

Lip Sync Rally and more

This year's edition of the 2010 lip sync rally was based on the mash-ups shown on Glee--a combination of unlike songs paired together to produce some interesting results. I'm pretty sure there will be youtube videos up soon, since they usually pop up within the next 48 hours.

However, the most disconcerting, but understandable, part of the rally was the lack of a teachers' performance. Unfortunately, it did not happen this year for a variety of reasons. After the rally, students came up to me asking what happened to the teachers. I just said it didn't come together, but I know some teachers said it was due to budget cuts in a mocking way to poke fun of what is a very serious situation at our school. The state budget crisis is forcing our school board to make some difficult decisions, which may or may not include the cutting of some elective programs. The thought of students no longer having the opportunity to take classes that provide life skills such as auto and foods is truly sad. I know those electives may not fulfill college prerequisites, but there will always be a need for careers in automotive and food industries. As the activities director, I admit that I fear other programs like dance, music and student leadership may one day face this same challenge, and though we might be spared this year, if the crisis continues, there is no telling what may happen in the future.

This mood has been pervading our campus as students and teachers question just what the future holds, and with today being a rally day for me, I was in more stressed out mood than normal. So, when an ex-EC student set foot on campus during the rally set up, my tension seemed to build when he was disrespectful to our security when he wouldn't stop. I had to follow him and he was none too happy to see me. Although he did make a threatening gesture and vocalized some profanities to me and got my blood pressure boiling, no incident followed, especially when more security and administrators arrived to the scene. Thank goodness. I did have a hard time settling into the rally prep with adrenaline pumping through me, but I am just happy a possible explosive situation was diffused.

Now a quick trip to the past to remind all of you what you may have missed from the previous lip sync rallies.



No comments: