Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nostalgia

Last Thursday, I happened to have to cover another teacher's class and it was in my former classroom. Although the room is drastically different (the office has been taken out of the room), I felt this nostalgia overwhelm me. Looking at the same trees out the window and going off on one of my mini-digressions to express my thoughts on students who say they're bored by reading, I remembered what it was like to be a new teacher again. Those early years seems far away now, especially since I've been attending the weddings of those former students. But as I eased into this nostalgic attitude, I recalled how much harder I was then and how my standards were more often met than they are now. The curriculum that I gave my first junior CP class when I student taught was handled more easily then the same curriculum now with the junior honors students. It makes me wonder about the state of education and all the various points a breakdown could occur in one's own learning process.

1 comment:

LANCINESS said...

Ah yes, I think the room number was 34? or something like that? but I do remember sitting in that room as a student as Maldo capped on me. I remember fighting with Ms Smith about having a Bell rally. I remember being the leadership psychologist for all the drama in the room. I can't believe after all that happened in there, you were actually the teacher there. All the hours spent organizing, fighting, debating, and speaking spanish in that room. Ahhhh, the good old days.