Sunday, April 29, 2007

Midnight Revelation

Midnight revelation

A few hours ago around midnight I returned to Ocean Beach to commune with myself and the surf. Yesterday was an odd day for me stewing in my classroom grading assignments the entire afternoon and then watching our school's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream (which is excellent, especially with their accent choices... really, a French Bottom, hmmm).

I felt trapped and needed to escape, so I went to Ocean Beach... too bad going back to Marina was out of the question considering I have so much to do later today... It's been a long time since I stood at the edge of the ocean and stared blankly into the fog, yet it can be the most soothing thing for me. I took my ipod and put selected by "Marina Daze" playlist and shoved my memory back to growing up on the Monterey Peninsula.

The wind was harsh biting through my track jacket and hoodie. Every few moments when I'd close my eyes, the water would reach out far enough to caress my feet. Slowly, the purge of negative energy began and each song helped me retreat back to simpler times.

It dawned on me that the cold temperature of my classroom is my not just a comfort zone, but a hearkening back to my preteen years when the beach is the only thing that helped me survive middle school. I grew up there and in the swirling winds of Candlestick Park. I worked in a walk-in freezer for five years. All of this in a poor attempt to assuage the daily pains and emotions of the day. All of this to help me cope and remain numb to the world.

in an upcoming blog: the George Revelation!

No comments: